The students and senior leaders of the Church who were residing in Madras in the early part of the last century felt the need for an organization to bring together Christian students in various colleges and high schools with a view to deepening their spiritual life and to create in them a lively sense of fellowship. The Syrian Student Conference, the parent organization was formed in 1907 and the first conference was convened on 1–3 January 1908 at Balikamadom School, Tiruvalla, Kerala. Annual Conferences have been a regular feature since 1908. From 1912 to 1960 it was called St Thomas Syrian Students Movement. The Movement assumed the present name MGOCSM in 1960.
The strength of the Movement is the wide network of its units centered in educational institutions and major parishes spread all over India and outside. MGOCSM has been maintaining inter-disciplinary contacts in the academic field for a long time by the formation of its wings. They include the High School, Higher Secondary, College students' wings, University, Higher Secondary, High School teachers' associations, Medical Auxiliary, Technical Auxiliary, Missionary Forum, Literary Forum, and the Publication wing.
Since the initiation, MGOCSM has attained tremendous growth and vitality by the grace of God, under the able guidance and nourishment of our Spiritual Leaders. Every year Annual Conference are held, generally in Prime locations of Orthodox Church, attracting lots of students who are enriched by the edifying speeches, dialogues and discourses in the spiritual ambience.
The 1st Annual Conference of the full-fledged MGOCSM was convened on the 1stof January 1908 at Thiruvalla in Kerala.
The year 1969 (May 21-25) witnessed the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations of MGOCSM at Baselios College, Kottayam.
Orthodox Theological Seminary of Kottayam became the spiritual locale for the platinum Jubilee Celebrations in 1984.
2008 became the years for the grand centenary celebrations of MGOCSM. Various programmes were conducted by the Movement at different significant places of Orthodox Church during this year. The centenary conference at Parumala Seminary, during December (26-31), 2008 brought a befitting finale for the events.
A constitution was formulated for the effective functioning of MGOCSM during the period 1915-1917. Amendments were made in 1955, 1968, 1975 and 2015. The constitution was amended recently on the 11th of July, 2015 at the General Assembly and approved by the Holy Episcopal Synod, in the month of August (3-7) 2015.
MGOCSM takes special care of students deprived of opportunities in the lowest ebb of the society. Educational scholarship programmmes are intended for their benefit. MGOCSM, student Centres at Kottayam, Thiruvananthapuram, Aluva, Manipal and Davangere (Karnataka) are the edifices of the untiring labour and dauntless spirit of the members of MGOCSM during the past meaningful years.